About this Course
SEE BELOW FOR IMPORTANT COMPUTER/SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS TO VIEW LIVE CLASS
Sweat soldering - the next step in our metalsmithing journey! Now it’s time to learn to safely use a small butane torch to solder. Students will fire up their torches and jump into soldering and explore the technique of sweat soldering. In this class, students will form elements from sheet metal and heavy gauge wire and solder in place, creating a collage of wire and sheet metal elements. For a bit of extra sparkle and bling, we will also solder a bezel cup in place and set the cabochon.
Mastery of these basic metalsmithing skills provides a firm foundation on which students can grow. This class provides students multiple opportunities to practice and refine their technique. Students will finish class confident in the skills learned and ready to tackle the next step!
Makery University is hosted on an innovative platform that allows instructors and students to work together in a private virtual classroom. This class will be broken into lessons and activities, each with its own forum area where you can ask questions, upload photos of your progress, and get to know other students. The forums will be open and monitored for a full 30 days after the live class so you’ll have a continuing resource available to you as you practice your new skills. And at the end of 30 days, you’ll be added to a private Facebook group with other Makery University students where you can continue to ask questions, post your work, and take advantage of private Makery University events.
WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS
- Students will learn the basic metalsmithing skills necessary for the next step in successful jewelry fabrication.
- Students will have multiple opportunities to practice and refine their technique. We'll cut, texture, form, texture, solder and patina metal sheet to create beautiful jewelry.
- Detailed tool and material lists. As soon as you register for the course, you’ll have access to detailed tool and materials lists, which include sources and information about which tools are optional and which are essential “must-haves.”
- On-going support. Gwen will be on hand throughout the day of class to answer questions, but she’ll also be monitoring the forums for 30 days and the private Makery University Facebook group on an ongoing basis, so you’ll always have a resource as you work with your new skills.
- Live webinars. Throughout the 30 days following your live course date, Gwen will schedule periodic live webinars to host Q&A sessions or offer bonus materials that may be relevant to questions or problems the group may be experiencing.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DAY OF LIVE BROADCAST
You will need the following:
- Computer, laptop or mobile device
- Firefox or Chrome browser installed
- Internet connection suitable for video streaming (20 mbps is usually sufficient)
- Tools and materials as outlined in workshop materials to work along with your instructor
SPECIAL NOTE FOR APPLE USERS: The LIVE workshop broadcast is not currently supported on mobile Apple devices (IPhone, IPad). Apple users will need a desktop or laptop with the Chrome browser installed in order to view the LIVE broadcast on the day of the workshop. Viewing the recorded videos after the workshop is no problem on Apple mobile devices.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN NOW!
Live streaming workshop date
Saturday, April 28, 2018
10am - 5pm (central)
WORKSHOP FEE: $99.00
(Please note that because of the digital nature of this workshop, registrations are not refundable.)