About this Course
DO NOT MISS THE IMPORTANT SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS BELOW
Students will learn the ancient art of fusing sterling silver (no solder needed).In addition, adding the prong setting, silver granules and bail offer opportunities to practice delicate soldering skills. Add patina, a sparkly CZ and and leather cord with handcrafted clasp and you have a fun funky pendant of textured layers. Time permitting, use the leftover fused sterling silver to fabricate a pair of earrings. In addition, students will learn a variety of related metalsmithing techniques like cutting, shaping and filing and Gwen will share her technique to add sparkle and shine.
Students will focus on learning the ancient art of sterling silver fusing and the organic textures that can be achieved. In addition, students will have multiple opportunities to practice their soldering skills. Related metalsmithing and wire-working skills are also explored so that students come away with a broad array of skills.
Makery University is hosted on an innovative platform that allows instructors and students to work together in a private virtual classroom. This class will be broken into lessons and activities, each with its own forum area where you can ask questions, upload photos of your progress, and get to know other students. The forums will be open and monitored for a full 30 days after the live class so you’ll have a continuing resource available to you as you practice your new skills. And at the end of 30 days, you’ll be added to a private Facebook group with other Makery University students where you can continue to ask questions, post your work, and take advantage of private Makery University events.
WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS
- Students will learn the ancient art of fusing sterling silver
- Also covered are delicate soldering skills to add the prong-setting, granules and bail
- Also included are basic metalsmithing skills, including a simple prong-setting technique. We'll cut, texture, form, and patina metal sheet to create beautiful jewelry.
- Detailed tool and material lists. As soon as you register for the course, you’ll have access to detailed tool and materials lists, which include sources and information about which tools are optional and which are essential “must-haves.”
- On-going support. Gwen will be on hand throughout the day of class to answer questions, but she’ll also be monitoring the forums for 30 days and the private Makery University Facebook group on an ongoing basis, so you’ll always have a resource as you work with your new skills.
- Live webinars. Throughout the 30 days following your live course date, Gwen will schedule periodic live webinars to host Q&A sessions or offer bonus materials that may be relevant to questions or problems the group may be experiencing.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DAY OF LIVE BROADCAST
You will need the following:
- Computer, laptop or mobile device
- Firefox or Chrome browser installed
- Internet connection suitable for video streaming (20 mbps is usually sufficient)
- Tools and materials as outlined in workshop materials to work along with your instructor
SPECIAL NOTE FOR APPLE USERS: The LIVE workshop broadcast is not currently supported on mobile Apple devices (IPhone, IPad). Apple users will need a desktop or laptop with the Chrome browser installed in order to view the LIVE broadcast on the day of the workshop. Viewing the recorded videos after the workshop is no problem on Apple mobile devices.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN NOW!
Live streaming workshop date
Thursday, March 15, 2018
10am - 5pm (central)
WORKSHOP FEE: $99
(Please note that because of the digital nature of this workshop, registrations are not refundable.)