About this Course
DO NOT MISS IMPORTANT SYSTEM REQUIREMENT INFORMATION BELOW
Tired of pre-made bezels? Learn to make your own in this one day class. And then kick them up a notch by learning to add a border and a sparkly tube set CZ. There is a border for every student - whether its the square wire border or the free-form border with some easy texturing or the more challenging 1/2-bead wire border. Gwen will walk you step-by-step through the process to your finished piece in this class suitable for the confident beginner and beyond.
This class focuses on developing soldering skills to fabricate a bezel setting and embellish it with a border and tube setting. Students learn the safe use of a butane torch as well as develop an understanding of heat control as it pertains to successful soldering. Other related metalsmithing skills such as cutting, shaping, filing and proper stone setting techniques are also covered.
Makery University is hosted on an innovative platform that allows instructors and students to work together in a private virtual classroom. This class will be broken into lessons and activities, each with its own forum area where you can ask questions, upload photos of your progress, and get to know other students. The forums will be open and monitored for a full 30 days after the live class so you’ll have a continuing resource available to you as you practice your new skills. And at the end of 30 days, you’ll be added to a private Facebook group with other Makery University students where you can continue to ask questions, post your work, and take advantage of private Makery University events.
WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS
- Students will develop a thorough understanding of soldering and the necessary heat control for successful soldering
- Also included are basic metalsmithing skills. We'll cut, texture, form, and patina metal sheet to create beautiful jewelry.
- Detailed tool and material lists. As soon as you register for the course, you’ll have access to detailed tool and materials lists, which include sources and information about which tools are optional and which are essential “must-haves.”
- On-going support. Gwen will be on hand throughout the day of class to answer questions, but she’ll also be monitoring the forums for 30 days and the private Makery University Facebook group on an ongoing basis, so you’ll always have a resource as you work with your new skills.
- Live webinars. Throughout the 30 days following your live course date, Gwen will schedule periodic live webinars to host Q&A sessions or offer bonus materials that may be relevant to questions or problems the group may be experiencing.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DAY OF LIVE BROADCAST
You will need the following:
- Computer, laptop or mobile device
- Firefox or Chrome browser installed
- Internet connection suitable for video streaming (20 mbps is usually sufficient)
- Tools and materials as outlined in workshop materials to work along with your instructor
SPECIAL NOTE FOR APPLE USERS: The LIVE workshop broadcast is not currently supported on mobile Apple devices (IPhone, IPad). Apple users will need a desktop or laptop with the Chrome browser installed in order to view the LIVE broadcast on the day of the workshop. Viewing the recorded videos after the workshop is no problem on Apple mobile devices.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN NOW!
Live streaming workshop date
Sunday, March 11, 2018
10am - 5pm (central)
WORKSHOP FEE: $99
(Please note that because of the digital nature of this workshop, registrations are not refundable.)