About this Course
DO NOT MISS IMPORTANT SYSTEM REQUIREMENT INFORMATION BELOW
Gwen's love affair with metal started with wire and the magic that happens with a spool of wire and a pair of pliers. Besides it being fun to wrap, twist, bend and coil wire, handcrafted links and findings allow the maker to “complete” the handcrafted look of their jewelry. While there is nothing “wrong” with using manufactured links and findings, Gwen believes the "Hand and Voice" of the maker should be evident in all aspects of their jewelry – down to the very last jump ring and clasp. As you can imagine, Gwen is big believer in fashioning links and findings that echo and even enhance the maker’s voice in a way that manufactured links and findings often cannot.
This is a full day exploration of creating with wire - wrapping, twisting, bending and coiling wire. Gwen will be sharing the techniques she loves most and her favorite tools for the job. Skills learned in earlier lessons will be used and amplified in later lessons. Along the way students will develop a “vocabulary” of techniques to help them reflect their maker’s voice in their work.
Makery University is hosted on an innovative platform that allows instructors and students to work together in a private virtual classroom. This class will be broken into lessons and activities, each with its own forum area where you can ask questions, upload photos of your progress, and get to know other students. The forums will be open and monitored for a full 30 days after the live class so you’ll have a continuing resource available to you as you practice your new skills. And at the end of 30 days, you’ll be added to a private Facebook group with other Makery University students where you can continue to ask questions, post your work, and take advantage of private Makery University events.
WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS
- Students will learn Gwen's tried and true techniques for creating handcrafted links and findings with wire
- Easy-peasy methods to add texture for an additional layer of interest are also included
- As students work through the workshop, they will develop a "vocabulary" of wire techniques, tools and terminology
- Detailed tool and material lists. As soon as you register for the course, you’ll have access to detailed tool and materials lists, which include sources and information about which tools are optional and which are essential “must-haves.”
- On-going support. Gwen will be on hand throughout the day of class to answer questions, but she’ll also be monitoring the forums for 30 days and the private Makery University Facebook group on an ongoing basis, so you’ll always have a resource as you work with your new skills.
- Live webinars. Throughout the 30 days following your live course date, Gwen will schedule periodic live webinars to host Q&A sessions or offer bonus materials that may be relevant to questions or problems the group may be experiencing.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DAY OF LIVE BROADCAST
You will need the following:
- Computer, laptop or mobile device
- Firefox or Chrome browser installed
- Internet connection suitable for video streaming (20 mbps is usually sufficient)
- Tools and materials as outlined in workshop materials to work along with your instructor
SPECIAL NOTE FOR APPLE USERS: The LIVE workshop broadcast is not currently supported on mobile Apple devices (IPhone, IPad). Apple users will need a desktop or laptop with the Chrome browser installed in order to view the LIVE broadcast on the day of the workshop. Viewing the recorded videos after the workshop is no problem on Apple mobile devices.
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Live streaming workshop date
Sunday, April 8, 2018
10am - 5pm (central)
WORKSHOP FEE: $99
(Please note that because of the digital nature of this workshop, registrations are not refundable.)